Answered By: Claire Sewell
Last Updated: Mar 22, 2023     Views: 2005

If you don’t have access to the items you need, your librarian will be happy to help you. They may be able to buy or make other arrangements for you to access the item. You can find the contact details for all the libraries in the University in the Libraries Directory.

Can I request a book to be delivered to my library?

In general, it’s not possible to arrange for items to be transferred between the University’s libraries. However, if you have a disability you may be eligible to have books and other resources delivered to you.  Please see the Cambridge Disability Resource Centre website for further advice.

Borrowing from libraries outside of the University

Books, chapters and journal articles not owned by libraries within the University can often be requested by inter-library loan. There may be a charge for this service.

Several libraries offer an inter-library loan service, including the main University Library. To find out if your library can arrange an inter-library loan, ask your librarian or check the Libraries Directory. Further information about inter-library loan can be found here.

Inter-library loan is also sometimes referred to as ‘document supply’ or ‘document delivery’.

Recommend the book for purchase

If you believe that your library would benefit from the purchase of a book, please contact your librarian with your recommendation. The main University Library also considers recommendations.